Sunday, March 2, 2014

Grandpa Jesse Garza

I would like to dedicate this post to a very special man, Jesus (Jesse) Garza.



 He is Philip's grandpa.  He was a wonderfully witty, generous, loving and deeply caring grandpa to my husband and myself, and great grandpa to my two boys.  He was a great story teller, and a great player of many card games and of course Mexican Bingo.  I have many fond memories of this man and he will be greatly missed!

This past week our family went home to Sierra Vista to celebrate Jesse's life.  He passed away on February 8, 2014 at the age of 91.  I have had the privilege of getting to know Jesse for about the last 4 years.  Before that I actually stayed at his house once.  Philip, myself and two good friends, Cara and Kelsey were going to see a musical up in LA, and ended up staying with Philip's grandparents because they lived so close.  That was my first real interaction with him, and I remember so clearly playing Bingo and listening to his fascinating stories of the "good ole days".  From that first meeting I knew that he cared about Philip very much.  He always called him "son".  "If you ever need anything, let me know son".  He was always so willing and ready to help.

About 4 years ago he and his wife Angie moved to Sierra Vista.  We were so excited that they lived closer.  Every other week we had family dinner, and it was always so nice to know they would be there, and we would have a chance to just spend some more time with them.  Grandpa Jesse also loved his great grandson Parker.  He always told me to make sure I took good care of his great Grandson.


On our trip home this last week it was a bittersweet time.  We got to see lots of family and friends that we've been missing dearly, and got to show the new little addition (Camden) off to everyone.  But we were there to also say goodbye to a dearly loved man.  In all of that, the service that we had for him was beautiful.  It was so personal, which I loved.  I think if you came to that service you probably left feeling like you knew a lot more about him than when you arrived.  Philip did the message for the service. I think Grandpa would have appreciated that very much, as I'm sure Grandma Angie did too.

The following day we also had a military service for him.  Since he was a veteran they offer that, and even have a flag ceremony for him, and presented it to Grandma at the end.

 I love that I grew up in a military town.  I have learned to have an appreciation for the military, and the sacrifice these men and women make that I'm not sure I would not have learned somewhere else.

Throughout the weekend, we not only got to spend time with our parents, grandma Angie, and Uncle Isaac, but we also got to visit with my grandma, who was able to meet Camden for the first time too.  These are truly precious moments that I will hold on to for a long time.


We also spent some much needed time with good friends!  Parker got to see old friends...




and Camden got to meet his future wife.  Yes, he looks like he could eat her for lunch, but they are only 5 weeks a part, so they won't look so different when they are 40 and allowed to date each other ;)



Overall, we are so thankful for this unexpected trip home and the opportunity to celebrate Grandpa Jesse.  It wore us all out I think....

But we are back home and getting back into the swing of things.  Charlotte is starting to warm up after our big snowstorm, and we are looking forward to a visit from Uncle Zach and Aunt Carissa mid March! Happy Sunday and don't forget to thank God for freedom and grace in Him.

With Love, From Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment