Sunday, September 7, 2014

Love Week at Elevation Church

Hey there!  So I promised a Love Week post, so here it is.  It is much later than I hoped, but hey, that is the story of my life!  At Elevation we have a whole week dedicated to loving on the city of Charlotte.  The initial goal in starting it was to ask each person that attends Elevation to serve at least one hour during the week.  We partner with these organizations year around, and serve our city weekly, this is just a condensed and focused week that we look forward to throughout the year! The reason I think it is so important for me to take you back to what we did in July is because it was such a fun week for my family.  We learned a lot about the joy we find in serving others together.  

The week started off with taking the boys to an assisted living home for alzheimer's patients .  We went with a Mommy's eGroup that I'm in.  Parker and Camden have found their sweet spot for sure!  They call this ministry "Baby Therapy", the goal behind this ministry is to allow babies and toddlers come visit the patients and brighten their day.  Simple as that!  Parker led the group in Jesus Loves Me, You Are My Sunshine, and Daisy, Daisy.  He also sat on one of the walkers as one of the older men pushed him around the room.  Camden let all the ladies hold him (he's quite the ladies man) they tickled him, squeezed his cheeks, and gushed over his smile.


The following day I was involved in two different ministries.  I was able to serve with an organization called Bright Blessings.  This organization provides birthday gifts and parties for displaced children in the city that won't get these things throughout the year.  They partner with the schools in the city to make a difference in these kids' lives.  

In the afternoon I was able to serve at another organization called Second Harvest.  This is an incredible ministry that provides food for the hungry.  They have a huge warehouse in which they sort and prepare all the food and goods that they provide.  We got to sort through hundreds of items, to the point that they ran out of things for us to do for them that day! 


We finished off the week serving as a family with the eGroup that Philip and I have been leading.  We put together several hundred backpacks for the start of school for some underprivileged kids in the city.  That night Parker's official job was to push the filled backpacks in a box to the finished pile.  He was catching so much attention, because let's face it, he's adorable. As a result,  he got photographed and recorded throughout the night.  

He ended up making one of the Elevation collage pictures...


...and he made the official Love Week Video.  Check it out, I promise you won't be disappointed.  It's a great recap of what happened during Love Week and keep an eye out for Parker.  I will cherish this video forever! 


A week like this is such a good reminder of how much fun it is to serve those around us.  I am so grateful for the opportunity to impact someone else's life and teach my boys the importance of the calling on their lives to serve others.

I hope you had a great weekend, and are ready to get in to this next week.  Find an opportunity to bless someone by serving them this week.  I promise, you won't regret it!

With Love, From Charlotte





No comments:

Post a Comment