Sunday, September 22, 2013

Mommy Engle eGroup

Since Philip and I have moved here to Charlotte, we have had to learn and adapt to many things along the way.  One of the transitions I had to make was finding some mommy friends.  Back in Sierra Vista I had lots of friends, that were also moms, that I could text in the morning and know that most likely someone would be available and wanting to hang out with me and Parker at some point that day.  Here's a quick shout out to all my mommy friends back in the SV!!  I miss you and love you :)  Parker also misses you and your kids, we talk about you and pray for you regularly. 

Parker's good friend Savannah before we left for charlotte :)

However, being in a new place, I didn't have that luxury and I was getting kinda lonely.  So I started looking for a mommy eGroup. (What we call our small groups here at Elevation) Unfortunately, there weren't any groups that were in the right area or the right time for me and Parker.  I knew I couldn't make it til the next semester of groups to get into one, so I mustered up a little courage, and I decided to start one myself!  I'm not going to make any friends by sitting at home wishing I had some.  So in a period of about 3 days, I went through the process of becoming an eGroup leader. (quicker than it's usually done, but luckily my hubby knows some people and was able to pull a few strings :)  By the following Sunday I was promoting my group and recruiting members.  Kind of Really scary if you don't know anyone, but God provided about 7 incredible women to sign up!  

Two weeks ago we had our first meeting, I had 5 people in attendance.  That's actually really good, because if you know any moms, you know that we tend to miss a lot of things due to runny noses, fevers, and just plain forgetfulness! I typically blame my forgetfulness on the fact that my child took some of my brain cells, and that I haven't really slept in a couple years.  Anyways, that first week was a simple play date at an incredible park here in Charlotte.  It was so nice to be surrounded by these women, who were looking for the same thing in a group of moms.  Someone to chat to at the park, in between the chasing of our children of course, and hopefully finding someone we might be able to connect with, so that the next time we want to have a play date or have someone to pray for one of the many struggles we face as moms, that we know someone has our back. 

Our second meeting we started what I hope our group to look like from here on out.  We are going through the book The Power of a Praying Parent, by Stormie Omartian.  My mom gave it to me for Christmas and I have been wanting to dive in to it, but hadn't had a chance.  I read her other book The Power of a Praying Wife and knew that this would be a good choice.  So each week we will have read a chapter from the book and then come to the meeting prepared to pray for our children in a specific way.  I've asked the moms to bring their strollers and walking shoes.  When we get to the park we go on a walk and pray for our kids!  The first week was so refreshing to be out in the cool air, and to pray together as moms working to be prayer warriors for our kids.  After our prayer walk we meet back at the playground and release the kids to run around, while we once again chase after them to make sure they don't break a bone or steal another kids snack.  



One last thing that I've challenged these women with is to reach out to other moms that might need a group like this.  It just so happens that a group of moms from all over South Charlotte meet at this park at the exact same time on the exact same day as our group.  I don't know about you, but to me, this has "God Thing" written all over it.  Moms are desperate for friends, support and encouragement!  God placed this in our laps!  And the thing about it is that it isn't just this one situation that this is happening.  If you take a few minutes and think about your week, and who you spend time with, I guarantee that God has provided you with your "playground of mom's" to reach out to.  It may not be 20 people or even 5, Maybe it's just one person that God is calling you to invest a little extra time or a little extra effort in encouraging them.  I challenge you to make it your calling, and your mission to get to know them and allow them to get to know you and who you serve!  



Thank you for your continued prayers and support as we seek God's will, and what He has for us.  We miss you!  Here's a quick pic of the little man... Simply because he's adorable :)


With Love, From Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment