Monday, April 27, 2015

A Tribute to Wilda, A Proverbs 31 Woman


This weekend, Camden and I made a trip out to Arizona to celebrate my Grandma's life, and the legacy that she and my Grandpa Charles, left.  I have so many sweet memories that I could share, and I will share a few today, but as I have taken a step back to think of what kind of person my grandmother was, I have seen that she was very much a Proverbs 31 woman.  If you haven't had a chance to read that particular book of the Bible, I highly recommend it. You can read verses 10-31 here  

As a mom and a wife, it is definitely something I strive to be.  Obviously, none of us are perfect, and neither was my grandma, but in so many ways, I saw those characteristics ring true in her life.   


I thought that this post could be dedicated to some of the many things that my grandma taught me in her time here on Earth, with some sweet pictures of her life, and the time we had celebrating who she was. 

One of the first things that my Grandma taught me, was how to be a worshiper. She had a beautiful voice and she used it to give God glory and praise.  She was completely unashamed of her faith and love for Jesus Christ, and one of her favorite ways to express that, was through music.  The songs that she would sing to my dad when he was little, are the songs that my dad sang to me as a kid, and they are now the songs that I sing to my boys.  Not all 3 year olds today ask for "The Bird Song" before nap.  Only a few of you probably know that one.  "Where are you going little bird? Where are you going little bird? I am going to my nest…."  Along with that, Parker asks for "Daisy", "You are my Sunshine" and "Jesus Loves Me" daily.  They have actually been really helpful to him as a ministry when we visit people in nursing homes, he can sing songs that they know and love.  I love that my grandma has passed down her love for singing through many generations.

Something else I learned from her was how to be wife. 



 My grandma was head over heels in love with her sweetheart.  I have heard their love story many times.  As we talked this weekend as a family, people talked about how there was never a lack for affection between these two.  She served her husband diligently and made sure that she was his support.  I know they prayed together regularly, and she worked hard to make their home a safe and inviting place to life.  

She was a great example to me, as I learn to serve my own husband and be his biggest fan.  There was no question of whether or not Grandma supported Grandpa.  She was his cheerleader the whole way, even in the last few very difficult years of his life.

She taught me many things about being a mom.  I don't think I have ever met anyone who loved being a mom as much as she did.  She had 5 children, 4 boys and a girl.  If her doctor had allowed her to have 10 more, she would've.  She told me that too many times to count.


 Her favorite years of her life were those that she had little ones pulling on her dress, someone needing to be rocked to sleep, and picking up after them.  When I would bring my own kids to visit her, I could see the immediate love for a tiny human being in her eyes.  She lit up, just knowing she was about to rock a baby.

On the days that I am about ready to pull out my hair, or I am not sure I can go another night with little sleep, I think about her.  I think about her love for her children and commitment to raising them to, above all else, love Jesus.  I think of the many sleepless nights she must of had.  I think of the fact that she didn't have the luxuries of my dishwasher and washing machine and dryer.  I am given a little boost to keep going.  I am given a little encouragement to push through.  I think about how this is also my calling, and that if I can turn to God as my source, then I can do what He has put me here to do.

Not only has she been an example of a worshiper, wife, and mother, but she has been a great example of what a grandmother is to be.

She and Grandpa actually lived with us most of my life.  So I have had the great opportunity of spending many hours with them growing up.  We would have regular movie nights over at their end of the house.  Grandma would kick Grandpa out of the room for the night, (he slept on the couch, while I took his place on the bed!) and we would watch wonderful movies (always love stories) together.  My Fair Lady, Jane Eyre, The Sound of Music, Sense and Sensibility, and of course Pride and Prejudice.  She taught me how to appreciate the greats, the classics. All of this while grandpa served us snacks and drinks of our choice :) What a trooper!




 This weekend we had the opportunity as a family to reunite and remember all of the lovely things of this beautiful woman.


We ate meals together, laughed and cried together, and caught up on each other's lives. We also came together and sang some of Grandma's favorite hymns and worship songs.





I think my Grandma would have been very pleased with the way we came together as a family and loved on each other a little bit.  I think we may have made both her and grandpa proud and grateful to have a family that cherished and loved them.  The two of them left quite a legacy that I am sure will continue through many generations.  

But today, more than anything, I think my Grandma, this Proverbs 31 woman, is standing next to her sweetheart, singing praises to her Heavenly Father.  I am sure the choir of angels is very happy to have her join them, and I think she wouldn't want to be anywhere else. 

Thank you for your prayers and sweet words!
With Love, From Charlotte





No comments:

Post a Comment